Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Accessorizing the Alcove


Accessorizing is always fun. Especially when you can marry two loves like accessorizing and gardening.

Recently, I adopted a beat up, rusty old bistro table and eagerly began planning its future in my garden. The structure of the table is adorable but possibly difficult to appreciate through intense rust and a fading paint job. I took it upon myself to give this table a second life and put its hidden beauty on display.

I have also been avidly searching for an affordable garden bench to create an inviting destination for garden wanderers. I found my answer in a sturdy (but plastic!) bench that a fellow gardener was phasing out of her patio. The only misgiving I had about it was its boring beige color.


So my fun project for both of these fine accessories was to paint!! A closet painter, I relished the idea of an additional outlet for my painting endeavors. I chose bright royal blue for the bench and mustard yellow for the table.

I'm hoping to plant bright yellow Black Eyed Susans (Rudbekia) and crimson geraniums to really make the bench pop. I was inspired by Chris' garden colors. Amazing.

Ideally, I'll accent the table with fun printed throw pillows on the chairs and on my new bench! Tim built this beautiful bench for me for additional patio seating that will double as a wet-bar/buffet.



The Project:

1) Wash: I began with thoroughly washing down both items with soapy water (I just used dish soap). The plastic bench proved much more straightforward than the rusted metal table.

My water loving labrador, Ellie, was convinced all this activity was a game and decided to spread her enthusiasm for the water :)

...to my face

For the table:
I began with an initial wash to remove some of the exterior grime and weather wear.
Next, I used a sharp object (I had a screw driver and a hand triangle garden hoe) to scrape off as much of the rust and old paint as possible. It's really important to focus on the areas where the paint is bubbling, as that is an indication that rust is growing underneath. If simply painted over these areas, the rust will eat through both layers of paint and your new coat will flake away. This stage took a bit of time and effort, but it's an important step!!


2) Prime: Use a primer to give a base for the glossy paint. For any metal object (my table), make sure you use a rust-stop primer.



NOTE: It is extremely important to begin painting when there is little to no moisture in the air. I waited for a time when rain was not predicted for 5 days. This also applies to being patient after you wash the items; if they are even slightly wet, the paint will not adhere.

3) Once the primer is completely dry, the fun part begins! Make sure you paint in an area where lots of dust or other items will fall on the wet paint. You will need to do a 2nd coat to really ensure the shine! For the paint I used, I had the option of doing the 2nd coat almost immediately or waiting for 24 hours.

Here's the finished product! I was pretty excited for how they came out!







So pleased with how they turned out!

Flowers of the Day:


Friend I found next to a budding Hyacinth




Blooming Hyacinth

3 comments:

  1. "I took it upon myself to give this table a second life and put its hidden beauty on display." This is one of my favorite things about you...and one of the things you are very good at, in so many areas.


    Blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Julie. I want to come sit in your garden and watch my daughter play in your yard whilst drinking martinis.

    ReplyDelete